Policy: Short and Long-Term Missionary Support
The Global Outreach Leadership Team (GOLT) and the local churches of the United Brethren Church in Canada want to encourage its members to take part in short-term mission trips, as well as working within their own areas to reach out to those who need to know Jesus. We also want to encourage those led by God to consider longer term mission work. The United Brethren Church in Canada as part of our participation with the Global Ministries Leadership Team (GMLT) would also encourage our members to consider becoming United Brethren missionaries, working directly with the GMLT.
This policy is to clarify the support provided for those who are considering short-term and long-term mission work.
1. All short-term mission trips, regardless of sponsor, are the financial responsibility of the participants. Local churches may choose to give prayer support, project promotion from the front, or direct financial contributions. Short-term projects sponsored by the GOLT or UB Global should be promoted in all Canadian UB churches for information and prayer support. See Appendix A for current funding sources.
2. Long-term Canadian UB missionaries who have been endorsed by the United Brethren UB Global may ask all Canadian UB local churches for prayer support, project promotion or direct financial contributions. GOLT may be contacted and would be able to assist with this promotion.
3. Long-term Canadian UB missionaries who are not endorsed by the United Brethren UB Global may ask their local church for prayer support, project promotion or direct financial contributions.
4. Long-term Canadian UB missionaries who are direct employees of the United Brethren UB Global, shall be promoted by the GOLT and UB Global and shall receive prayer support, project promotion and direct financial contributions from all Canadian UB local churches.
Note 1: Concerning Membership
Points #2, 3 and 4 apply only to Canadian UB members. There should be no expectation of support for Long-term Missionaries who will not become members of a Canadian UB Church.
Note 2: Designated Giving
Designated funds will be confined to programs and projects approved by GOLT with the understanding that when the needs for such a project have been met (or cannot be completed for any reason, as determined by GOLT), the remaining contributions will be used for an alternate project. The GOLT recommends that local churches adopt a similar policy.
Appendix A: Sources of Funding
1. Maintenance for Missions: Focus on Evangelism - contributes towards travel costs for adults an approved short-term mission trip. Contact: Pastor John Duyck
2. Evelyn Hallman Estate Fund - contributes towards the costs for students on an approved short-term mission trip.
Contact: Audrey Fiederlein.